There are many people who experience anxiety and fear during their visit to a dentist. Sedation dentistry refers to the use of medication or anesthesia during a dental procedure to relax and calm the patients. Also known as sleep dentistry, this process is both safe and effective.
Dental phobia prevents many people from receiving routine dental care, thereby compromising the health and functionality of their mouth. Sedation dentistry plantations may include all on 4 dental implants. It is mainly used during procedures involving an extensive amount of time in the treatment chair and is best for patients having difficulty controlling their movements during a dental procedure.
– Oral Sedatives – In this, medication can be given to a patient either the night before the dental procedure or 30 minutes to one hour before the dental appointment, depending on the severity of the anxiety. Oral sedatives alone do not provide relief from pain, therefore an injection of local anesthetic will be given to relieve pain. You should not drive a vehicle for 24 hours after receiving the oral sedation.
– Inhalation Sedation – It works well for mild to moderate anxiety and can be used for treatment of any length. You can drive to and from your dental appointment and return to normal activities immediately.
– IV Moderate Sedation – In this type, you receive the sedative through a vein and it works more quickly. It allows the dentist to continually adjust the level of sedation.
– General Anesthesia – This method of sedation dentistry will make you partial or totally unconscious during the procedure with the help of medication. Under the effect of this sedation, the patient will be completely unaware of his surroundings.
No matter which type of sedation you receive, you will need a numbing medication at the place where the dentist is working in the mouth. Sedation dentistry can also be helpful if you:
– Have sensitive teeth
– Find it difficult to get numb
– Have complex dental issues
– Have fear of needles
– Have traumatic dental experiences
– Face difficulty in controlling your movements on the dental chair
Patients with any type of medical condition should notify the dentist before the sedation dentistry procedure. The dentist will take a thorough account of your medical history before proceeding with the sedation method. Though this procedure is generally for patients who are more than 18 years old, but there are pediatric dentists who can sedate children who can’t tolerate dental work.